Some Amazing Facts about Spirulina:
- Phenylalanie and Tyrosine, which are present in Spirulina in large quantities are used by the brain to construct the neurotransmitter Norepinephrine (involved in the control of food intake). Research conducted by the scientist James G. Gibbs reveals that food intake can be controlled in Rhesus monkeys with these precursor elements. Dr. Gibbs noted foods rich in Phenylalanine could be used in controlling hunger. Phynylalanine has also been found to be 89% to 100% effective in the treatment of depression.
- Spirulina is a great source of essential B vitamins; the daily intake of 16 grams (2 level tablespoons or 16 tablets) provides 30.3 mcg. of vitamin B-12, 1000% of the RDA, 40% for B-2, 60% for B-1 and 10% for B-3 niacin.
- 16 grams of Spirulina contains as much calcium as 16 grams of milk, 300% more calcium than found in chicken.
- A daily intake of Spirulina (16 grams) contains 110% of the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) of Iron for males, and 6% for females. Spirulina is the highest source, other than mother's milk, of the human growth factor Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA). With the exception of Beta Carotene GLA, which is the precursor to the important hormone-like prostaglandins PG1 and PG2, is the focus of more intensive research than any other element found in Spirulina. Prostaglandins are known to control the production and action of the Immune system's T-suppressor lymphocytes. Studies show that the prostaglandins are a key factor in solving more ailments such as heart attacks, arthritis, allergies, high blood pressure, PMS, certain specific causes of obesity, and hold more promise for help in a wider range of diseases than any other area of study. Nutritionists now recognize that vegetable oils such as sunflower, corn, and safflower oil which were formerly thought to provide a source of GLA in the western diet, contain virtually no GLA forming properties. This is due to GLA's destruction during procesing of these oils.
- Unlike its cousin, Chlorella which has an undigestible cellulose outer covering, Spirulina's cell wall is composed entirely of mucopolysaccharides in the form of glyco/bilo proteins, enabling it to be 95% digestible.
- Sprirulina's rate form of glycoproteins are giant sugar/protein molecules which are used by the body to form antigens which stimulate the Immune response through the T-cell and B-cell pathways.
- A 4-year study conducted in England with laboratory animals concludes that (GLA) has the ability to rejuvenate brain tissue damage caused by alcohol abuse. The study adds to the eveidence that GLA is linked to the rejuvenation processes of the body.
- Spirulina is rich in potassium, an active eliminator of toxins which are taken in from the environment or produced in metabolism. Spirulina contains 350% more potassium than brown rice.
- While Spirulina ranks as nature's highest source of plant protein, it contains only 3.6 calories per gram. The ordinary protein calorie to protein ration needed to achieve adequate protein intake, yet not increase weight, should not exceed 60 calories to each gram of protein consumed. Dieters may enjoy as much Spirulina as they need to keep energy and nutrient levels high, and not gain weight while remaining properly nourished.
- One of the many reasons Spirulina is an effective aid to the hypoglycemic may be due to the amino acide Cysteine's ability to reduce anxiety, weakness, nausea and the hypoglycemic's stress-induced headache by changing the molecular structure of insulin, thereby reducing its effects. Stimulating the pituitary to release growth hormone is another way to counteract the effects of an overactive pacreas. Body builders know that growth hormone can be stimulated through high intake of the amino acide Arginine. Spirulina contains approximately 5.98% Arginine.
- Spirulina is a virtual storehouse of antioxident elements which prevent or retard agining caused by free radical auto-oxidation. Spirulina is one of the highest concentrated sources of the sulfur containing amino acid Cystein. Cystein is used by the body to construct th enzyment Glutathione Peroxidase which protects our cells agains peroxides formed by free radical reaction. Peroxidized fats (i.e. in Lipodial cells) are Immune system suppressants, mutagens, and carcinogens. Preventing peroxidized fats helps our Immune system to stay strong.
- Research conducted at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine reports that an extract of Spirulina-Dunaliella algae was able to prevent tumor development in the mouths of hamsters painted with DMBA, "an extremely potent carcinogen". Although untreated controls all presented gross tumors, the algae fed animals were completely free. However microscopic sections of the mouths in the algae group showed localized areas of dysplasia and early carcinoma-in-situ undergoing destruction.
- The Western Electric study, conducted over a period of 19 years with over 3,000 employees, determined that lung cancer was inversely related to the intake of Beta Carotene. Pacific Spirulina contains almost twice the Beta Carotene (a non-toxic form of of provitamin A) than found in any other Spirulina grown. Daily intake (16 grams) represents 1600% of the RDA for vitamin A, plus 29% of the RDA for vitamin E in a nutrient-protected highly stable form. Gram for gram, Spirulina is a richer source of vitamin E than wheat germ.
Acquainting your body to the many benefits of Spirulina:
- No negative side effects have ever been noted by persons using Spirulina. It is the only microalgae food supplement that has been consumed by humans for many hundreds of years. Extensive toxicology studies have been don by such organizations as the United National Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), which conducted long term studies for birth defects in several generations of laboratory animals an found no problems.
- Because every person's metabolism is unique, different genetic makeup, different dietary intake, etc., and due to Spirulina being such a concentrated form of nutrients (and extremely cleansing), those taking Spirulina for the first time may experience possible temporary reactions. This may take several forms. Some expeience intestional gas that is released during an intitial cleansing of the colon. This is Spirulina replacing old toxins through increased supplies of nutrients; virtually the old (dead matter) making way for new life. Another reaction experienced by some is a slight headache which can be attributed to an increase of toxins being evacuated via the bloodstream. It is important to remember that nature's greates aid to detoxification is pure, clean, water. Some individuals dont' drink enough water and for the Spirulina user it becomes necessary to get a least 8 full glasses of water each day that Spirulina is consumed. This is normal water intake, whithout which, irregularity of bowel movement is almost a surety when Spirulina is added to one's diet.
- Spirulina has the ability to bind and stabilize the body's toxins and eliminate them through the colon, but this can take place in an efficient manner only when adequate water is availble to the system.
- The above reactions may be considered by some as unfavorable, but let us assure those undergoing this initial discomfort, that this is nature's process of elimination, usually happening to those who need it the most. These are full indications that Spirulina is working to bring about a normal condition of favorable balance. These symptons will usually vanish within 2 to 3 days. Occasionally they will persist for up to 10 days in an extreme condition.
- Occasionally allergy sufferers may experience their well known symptoms. This means the body is in an accelerated state to regain homeostassis as the body actively works to expel toxins. Bowel movements may become colored a dark green, indicating an excess of chlorophyll and other cytochromic material passing from the body. These are all natural processes and should be considered an indication that Spriulina is doing its intended work.
Recommended Daily Intake:
- First-time users may want to start with as little as one teaspoon (or 2 tablets) of Spirulina for the first two days, increasing a teaspoon (or 2 tablets) daily until a desired amount is reached. After this initial break in period everything will be clear sailing, and you may increase consumption according to energy requirements. Many find that taking a full two tablespoons (or 16 tablets) of Spirulina s a substitue for breakfast, gives them super energy until lunch time and is ideal for persons on the run. After taking Spirulina for a while, one can get to know what quanity is right for him or her to consume each day.
Additonal Spirulina Information
Hawaiian Spirulina is packed with nutrients; gram per gram it has:*
- 2800% more beta-carotene than carrots
- 3900% more iron than spinach
- 600% more protein than tofu
- 280% more antioxidants than blueberries
*Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease
Spirulina approved for human consumption by the FDA: